How to complete SpeedBMD
Please note: Not following these instructions is the biggest
single cause of transcribed scans needing correction. Please follow them line
by line until you are certain of the correct action.
With SpeedBMD Use "Start a scan batch" (F7). Use the tab key to move
between entry fields.
- Event Type = Marriages Births or Deaths.
- Year = four numbers e.g. 1845.
- Quarter Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec as required.
- Scan is automatically added to the next field.
- The next field will initially show part of the transcribed file name.
Four characters are automatically added, you add the last four digits. This
is often the last four numbers of the scan file name. e.g. If the scan filename
is 41M4-B-0026.gif then 0026 is added to make 41M40026. If the scan
has only 3 digits add a leading zero.
Some scans filenames are grouped on separate web pages according to the
first letter of the surname. Where this is the case special action is required
to adjust the 'Page' number according to the group the scan is listed in.
As an example March 1840 scans are in three groups A-C, C-N, and O-Z. If your
allocation comes from this type of web page then you must check the special instructions before you start.
- Batch Created and updated should have a date already entered that
- Volume number format
- Use 99 for 1837, 1840, 1841, 1842 Marriages and 1843
- Use 9Z for 1852, 1856,1859,1865,1866 and 1888 Deaths, 1854, 1859,
1860, 1862 and 1910 Births, 1863 and 1890 Marriages.
- Use XX for 1843, 1844, 1845, 1847 and 1849 Births, 1840, 1841 and 1851
- Caps Surname = Yes
- Skip Dist = No.
- Name = Your Name (as in Brian Smart)
- Password = password (this is not used, so just leave the word
'password', do not reveal your own password)
- Syndicate = Brian's Scan Syndicate
- Email Address = email@example.com ( whatever is your E-Mail address )
- Source/Scan Ref
Enter the Source, as provided in the allocation email.
- Comments: No comment is required
Return to Instructions Page.
Updated on 4th September 2007.
First Created on 5 March 2001
Copyright © 2001-2003, B.M.Smart